Create the perfect Koshu food pairing with Grace Wine
Delicate Japanese Koshu wines are now more widely available in the UK and if you have not yet had the chance to try this unique Japanese varietal then this is the moment.
Not only are the wines naturally lower in alcohol, but they are a great match with a wide variety of dishes. Seafood is an obvious choice, but there are a lot more flavours to experiment with, including umami, spring vegetables, spicy dishes and recipes featuring poultry or pork.
Grace Wine has joined forces with The Sommelier Collective to find out the best Koshu and food pairings with two of its white wines.
Since its foundation by the Misawa family in 1923, Grace Wine has been pioneering the making of fine wines in Japan. It established the use of vertical shoot positioning for Koshu and has been winning awards since 2013, when it won Japan’s first gold medal in the Decanter World Wine Awards.
Grace Wine embodies the delicate precision and rigorous craftsmanship of Japanese culture and remains a family-owned business with Ayana Misawa its chief winemaker and a fifth generation family member.
Its Koshu wines are an exciting partner to a wide variety of international cuisines, not just classic Asian pairings. You might love the citrus, floral, mineral quality of their native varietal Koshu or be really into the nuances of a lees-matured wine…whatever your choice, Japan’s No.1 white wine producer, Grace Wine, is challenging the top sommeliers in the land to find the best food and Koshu pairing.
How to take part
It couldn’t be simpler…
All you have to do is apply for one of ten special Grace Wine tasting packs that will contain two bottles: Grace Koshu 2020 and Grace Koshu Hishiyama Vineyards 2020; then select your best food pairing for each Koshu wine; and explain why you think each wine matches perfectly with your chosen accompanying dish.
Grace, Koshu 2020
Grace, Koshu – Hishiyama Vineyards, Katsunuma 2020
Share your creative #KoshuFoodMatch
- Take a photo, or two, of each of your Grace Wine Koshu food matches
- Add a tasting note and brief description of why the matches work
- Share it on your social media channels with #KoshuFoodMatch #SommelierCollective @sommeliercollective @gracewine_1923
It’s up to you!
Your match might be simple, using a single ingredient like red snapper ceviche, or you could choose more elaborate dishes to pair with your Koshu wines. Have fun trying something different – it certainly doesn’t have to be a Japanese dish to be a winner. In fact, we’re looking for a new pairing, so be daring!
Now it’s up to you discover the best Grace Wine Koshu food match and enter the #KoshuFoodMatch challenge to see if one of your matches scoops you the prize.
For more information, and for more ideas about food pairing Koshu visit the LEARN section.
Each entrant will be featured on http://www.sommeliercollective.co.uk and instagram.com/sommeliercollective.
And, the best overall pairing will win a Grace Wine Tasting Menu dining experience for 2* at private members’ club for wine lovers, 67 Pall Mall, London.
*Terms & Conditions apply
- Open to The Sommelier Collective members.
- Only ten tasting packs available.
- In applying for a set of wines to try you are required to enter the competition and share your matches on your Instagram account, using the competition #KoshuFoodMatch #sommeliercollective and tag @sommeliercollective @gracewine_1923
- This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Instagram.
- Tasting kits available for UK mainland delivery only. Damages/lost items cannot be replaced or refunded.
- By taking part in the competition you give permission for The Sommelier Collective to copy, store and share your text and photography with due credit and without exclusion.
- Entries must be published on your Instagram account before 23.59pm, 25/2/2022.
- The prize will be awarded for originality and thought by the organisers (Grace Wine & The Sommelier Collective).
- The winner will be announced on 4 March, 2022 on http://www.sommeliercollective.uk and communicated to members in the email newsletter.
- Prize must be taken by 31 July, 2022. No cash alternative. Non transferable. Travel expenses not included.